I’ve tried a lot of recipes for cornbread. There are two basic types: Southern style – which has a neutral or sour flavor, and Northern style – which has a sweeter flavor. I’ve made both, and I must say I prefer the sweeter version. This is my recipe for…
New England Skillet Cornbread
I’ve added a variation to the recipe that includes fresh cooked corn, which makes it much tastier I think.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1.25 cups of Quaker Oats cornmeal [I’ve tried all sorts of ‘stone ground’ brands – they’re too crunchy.]
2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tbsp. baking powder
2 cups chopped cooked corn*
4 tbsp. sugar [If you use fresh corn, subtract one tbsp. of sugar per ear/cup of corn.]
1.5 cups milk [If you use fresh corn, subtract 1/4 cup of milk per ear/cup of corn.]
6 tbsp. melted butter [You can use a combination of any ‘fat’ – 2 in the pan and 4 in the batter. I like to use bacon fat in the pan and 2 tbsp. each of olive oil and butter in the batter.]
Add some finely chopped pickled jalapeno to your taste, if you like it.
* If you’re using fresh, cooked corn, cut the kernels off the cob[s]. I have found that 2 ears make a pretty good addition the the standard recipe. [Don’t forget to scrape the spine of the knife over the cobs to release the juicy remains of the kernels.] You can use cooked frozen corn instead of corn off the cob if you prefer.
Chop the corn. You should end up with one cup of chopped corn per ‘ear’.
– Put a 9″ cast iron skillet in your oven and turn it to 425°.
– Combine all the dry ingredients in a bowl. NOTE: Sugar is considered a wet ingredient.
– In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs. Add the other wet ingredients and mix.
– Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. NOTE: Stir only enough to combine the ingredients. Over stirring will produce more gluten, making the corn bread tough.
– Remove the skillet from the oven and add your preferred ‘fat’. It should heat/melt very quickly. NOTE: Butter has some water content to it and may ‘spit’ – be careful. Add the batter quickly and return the pan to the oven to bake for 20 – 25 mins.
– Check with a thermometer. The cornbread will be done at 190°